TMIT Patient Safety Documentaries
TMIT is producing inspiring multimedia stories to drive high performance care and improve patient safety in
hospitals by showcasing great role models emphasizing the positive rather than the negative. Stories
igniting hope and faith will include those told by consumers, front-line caregivers, clinical and non-clinical
leaders of hospitals, and international subject matter experts.
Certain broadcast programs will be shown globally, and then will be made available to hospital leadership,
front-line performance teams, and consumers. The series of "arc to action" stories will be told to inspire
both consumers in communities and hospital leaders to act locally.
To open the Surfing the Healthcare Tsunami Leaders Toolbox, click here.
Click here learn about our other documentaries including Chasing Zero: Winning the War on Healthcare Harm.
View the entire 58-minute documentary below.
Please note: best viewed in full-screen mode.
Click here to watch the trailer for Surfing the Healthcare Tsunami: Bring Your Best Board®.
The following Related Resources are mentioned in the documentary, and most can be found on the Internet by clicking on their subsequent links below. (The Jha article in Health Affairs requires a subscription or payment, as do the van Beuzekom and Leape articles in Qual Saf Health Care and JAMA, respectively; and the Boeing report is not available for purchase or download.)
Tsunami and Boards
- Denham CR, Sullenberger CB, Quaid DW, Nance JJ. An NTSB for healthcare learning from innovation: debate and innovate or capitulate. J Patient Saf 2012 Mar;8(1):3-14. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 12, 2012.
- Denham CR. The partnership with patients: a call to action for leaders. J Patient Saf 2011 Sep;7(3):113-21. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- Denham CR. Greenlight issues for the CFO: investing in patient safety. J Patient Saf 2010 Mar;6(1):52-6. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- Denham CR. Are you infected? J Patient Saf 2009 Sep;5(3):188-96. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- Denham CR. The no outcome-no income tsunami is here: are you a surfer, swimmer, or sinker? J Patient Saf 2009 Mar;5(1):42-52. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 9, 2012.
- Denham CR. The 3 Ts of leadership engagement: truth, trust and teamwork. J Patient Saf 2006 Sep;2(3):162-71. Available at www.safetyleaders.org/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- Jha AK, Epstein AM. Hospital governance and the quality of care. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010 Jan-Feb;29(1):182-7. Epub 2009 Nov 6.
- CareBoards webpage: www.safetyleaders.org/
- Brennan TA, Leape LL, Laird NM, et al.; Harvard Medical Practice Study I. Incidence of adverse events and negligence in hospitalized patients: results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study I. 1991. Qual Saf Health Care 2004 Apr;13(2):145-51; discussion 151-2. Available at http://qualitysafety.bmj.com/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- Kohn LT, Corrigan JM, Donaldson MS, eds. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2000. Available at http://www.nap.edu/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- Berger RG, Kichak JP. Computerized physician order entry: helpful or harmful? J Am Med Inform Assoc 2004 Mar-Apr;11(2):100-3. Epub 2003 Nov 21. Available at http://jamia.bmj.com/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- van Beuzekom M, Akerboom SP, Boer F. Assessing system failures in operating rooms and intensive care units. Qual Saf Health Care 2007 Feb;16(1):45-50.
- Leape LL, Bates DW, Cullen DJ, et al. Systems analysis of adverse drug events. ADE Prevention Study Group. JAMA 1995 Jul 5;274(1):35-43.
- Morris JA Jr, Carrillo Y, Jenkins JM, et al. Surgical adverse events, risk management, and malpractice outcome: morbidity and mortality review is not enough. Ann Surg 2003 Jun;237(6):844-51; discussion 851-2. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- de Vries EN, Ramrattan MA, Smorenburg SM, et al. The incidence and nature of in-hospital adverse events: a systematic review. Qual Saf Health Care 2008 Jun;17(3):216-23. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- Sorra J, Famolaro T, Dyer N, et al. Hospital Survey on Patient Safety Culture: 2012 User Comparative Database Report. AHRQ Publication No. 12-0017. (Prepared by Westat, Rockville, MD, under Contract No. HHSA 290200710024C.) Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ); 2012 Feb. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/. Last accessed April 24, 2012.
- Boeing. Accident prevention strategies: Removing links in the accident chain. Commercial jet aircraft accidents. World wide operations 1982-1991. Seattle, WA: Boeing Commercial Airplane Group; 1993. (Not available for purchase or downloading.)
- Ayrton Senna: Legacy. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/. Last accessed February 3, 2012.
- Wikipedia. History of Formula One: Safety, rules and regulation. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/. Last accessed February 3, 2012.
- F1SeasonReview.com. Formula One safety improvements. Available at www.f1seasonreview.com/. Last accessed February 3, 2012.
- Wright P. Formula 1 Technology. Appendix A: The Development of Ground Effect. Warrendale (PA): Society of Automotive Engineers; 2001. Available at http://www.google.com/. Last accessed February 3, 2012.
- Carney D. Refreshing the formula. Motorsports & Performance Engineering Special Report. Automotive Engineering International Online [electronic magazine]. Warrendale (PA): SAE Magazines; 2006 May. Available at www.sae.org/. Last accessed February 3, 2012.
- Dale Earnhardt's Fatal Crash: www.youtube.com/.
- Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III and crew land US Airways Flt. 1549 in the Hudson River: www.nytimes.com/
- Partnership for Patients: www.healthcare.gov/.
- TMIT's Greenlight Program: www.safetyleaders.org/.
- The 5 Rights of Imaging: www.safetyleaders.org/.
- Ascension Health System: http://www.ascensionhealth.org/.
- Global priority areas for Patient Safety research [World Health Organization]: http://www.who.int/.
- Barry-Wehmiller Companies Inc.: http://www1.barry-wehmiller.com/.
- Center for Patient Safety Research, Brigham and Women's Hospital: http://www.patientsafetyresearch.org/.
- Emily Jerry: http://emilyjerryfoundation.org/
- Braxton Rel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqZLuMxPKs
- Josie King: www.josieking.org/
- Quaid twins: www.aarp.org/
- Sheridan family: www.patientsafety.org/
- Pete Conrad: http://en.wikipedia.org/
- Julie Thao: http://host.madison.com/
- Eric Cropp: www.ismp.org
- Kevin Murphy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/
Surfing the Healthcare Tsunami: Bring Your Best Board® is a trademark of HCC Corporation